The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) is a global centre of expertise established in 1998 to monitor and report on the situation of people who become displaced within their own countries. IDMC curates and analyses data from a wide range of sources, provide insight into the risk, scale, causes and impacts of the phenomenon, and supports partners around the world in identifying and implementing solutions to it.
IDMC is now looking for an enthusiastic and proactive Social Media and Communications Coordinator to help IDMC reach its organisational objectives by writing and editing communications content and managing IDMC’s social media presence and email newsletter. The coordinator will also assist with international press relations, help create strong communications guidance and policies and contribute to refining and delivering on the communications strategy.
This is a dynamic position providing an opportunity to work across the organisation with experts focused on different regions of the world, data management and analysis, policy and international relations as well as with an impact-focused communications team. IDMC produces tremendous amounts of data and analysis to inform policies and actions to address internal displacement, providing a wealth of potential content for communicating with our audiences. A solutions-oriented team player willing to dive into the topic will find many opportunities in this role to put this content to use and to grow and contribute in meaningful and rewarding ways to the success of the organisation.
What you will do
The main roles and responsibilities for this position are:
- Work with IDMC colleagues across the organisation to identify appropriate content types to present their data and analysis in the most compelling ways.
- Coordinate writing, editing and quality assurance processes for all communications products to Director, multimedia features, and relevant parts of publications as well as other potential products.
- Write and edit communications content, including website and newsletter text, social media content, introductions and other communications-oriented portions of publications, video scripts and other content necessary to implement the communications strategy.
- Consolidate existing style guideline documents, maintain and update IDMC style guide, work with the IDMC design team to update relevant parts of the IDMC brand guidelines.
Social media engagement:
- Work with the Head of Communications to develop a strategy for IDMC’s social media presence, including a review of our audiences and their needs, the most suitable platforms to invest in, opportunities to improve our outreach, paid promotion, and relevant key performance indicators.
- Identify ways to proactively engage IDMC’s target audiences, ensuring that our content is relevant, timely, accessible and engaging.
- Liaise closely with all IDMC departments to stay on top of latest developments and find new ways to promote our key products and events.
- Manage IDMC social media channels in accordance with IDMC, IDMC communications and IDMC social media strategies, including establishing a strong brand voice and reputation on each platform.
- Conduct regular audience research and partner/peer benchmarking, analysis of our impact and what’s working or not working, and stay up-to-date with current trends, technologies and applications to inform decisions and overall direction.
- Support staff and partners who amplify our content with suggested messaging, social media training, and social media kits for various products.
Content planning and dissemination:
- Maintain an editorial calendar of internal and external events, IDMC content, external hooks, and other relevant moments for engagement.
- Take the lead on promotion of IDMC events via website content, social media, newsletter updates and assisting the director’s office with official invitations.
- Work with the Head of Communications to develop a strong email newsletter strategy then produce and disseminate IDMC’s email newsletter accordingly.
- Coordinate with the Director’s office and external relations departments to maintain and update IDMC’s newsletter and centralised contact lists.
If you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
What you will bring
Are you a proactive, solutions-oriented and enthusiastic communications professional? We are looking for a Social Media and Communications Coordinator with demonstrated experience writing and editing compelling content and with an ability to translate technical language into clear, engaging, audience-friendly messaging. You will also possess a solid understanding of social media trends and analytics across multiple platforms, with demonstrated experience managing social media accounts, ideally in similar contexts.
In addition, you will have:
- Relevant degree and at least five years of professional experience in communications, media relations, marketing, social media, or related fields.
- Working knowledge of Mailchimp/Salesforce and/or other email marketing tools.
- Experience with internal displacement, migration, humanitarian or development sectors is desirable.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal. French an asset.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organisational or project management skills to ensure quality and timely delivery.
For reasons related to the procedure for work permits in Switzerland, only candidates with an EU/EFTA nationality or a valid work permit for Geneva, Switzerland can be considered for this role. Kindly specify your permit in the application if relevant.