The Global Fund is seeking to appoint a Head of Communications within the External Relations and Communications Division, to be based in Geneva, Switzerland. This new senior role is being established to achieve a step-change in communications. The Head of Communications will help sustain the global momentum to end HIV, tuberculosis and malaria as epidemics and cement the Global Fund’s position as an influential global health leader. S/he will shape the Global Fund messaging and promote it across multiple channels, maximizing its ability to inspire and influence audiences globally and to mobilize the resources needed to accelerate progress against the three diseases. The Head of Communications will also improve organizational impact through consistent and effective communications across the Global Fund partnership.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is passionate about influencing and developing communications strategy and brand positioning. The Head of Communications is a highly creative leader with political instinct, and manages a team working across executive, internal and operational communications, publications, digital platforms, marketing and events, creative direction, public relations, influencers/talent engagement and translation services.
All appropriately qualified people regardless of their nationality, ethnicity, sex, marital status, civil partnership status, disability, age, religion, political belief, sexual orientation, health status or transgender status, and individuals who are living with HIV are encouraged to apply. The Global Fund is highly committed to diversity.
1. Develop and implement the Global Fund’s Communication strategy and workplan
- Design and develop a comprehensive, sustained and measurable communications strategy aimed at the Global Fund key audiences across donors, partners, advocates, implementing partners, constituents, the wider public as well as the Global Fund Secretariat;
- Shape and lead on the overall communications agenda of the Global Fund, in collaboration with key stakeholders, in particular with External Relations, the Executive Director Office, Grant Management, and Human Resources.
2. Enhance the Global Fund brand positioning and influence
- Lead on the development of strategies and tactics to sustain and increase the Global Fund positive brand positioning across key audiences, enhance its influence in the global health public debate and help sustain global commitment to ending HIV, TB and malaria
- Develop and nurture key relationships and partnerships internally and externally, including with key journalists, global health and development partners, advocates, influencers and celebrities to advance the Global Fund agenda
- Monitor the external trends, and track analytics to inform the organisation’s leadership positioning and external engagement;
- Act as a spokesperson and represent the organization externally in particular with the media and at public events.
3. Provide effective executive and operational Communications support
- Provide high-level counsel to senior leadership, especially the Executive Director; o Respond to priority strategic communications needs across Divisions and Departments at the Global Fund;
- Engage with partners and advocates on joint communication initiatives; o Be responsible for reputational risk management through development and activation of communications mitigating measures.
4.Strengthen the Communications Operating model
- Define and deliver an effective and agile Communications operating model in line with the ERCD and Global Fund strategic vision and key priorities;
- Nurture and improve communication strategic support to key Global Fund workstreams and initiatives to support staff engagement, operational effectiveness and impact;
- Have the overall responsibility and leadership for the communications Department, ensuring seamless communications operations & process management;
- Thrive to ensure the communications functions remain abreast of the latest developments in particular in the new technologies landscape, agile, and creative.
5. Team leadership and management
- Play an active role in the management of the division as part of ERCD leadership team, collaborating actively with the Head of Donor Relations, Head of Private Sector Engagement, and Head of Political and Civil Society Advocacy;
- Lead, manage, mentor and coordinate the work of a team of +/-30 highly skilled professionals across marketing and creative direction, public relations, and executive and operational communications;
- Nurture collaboration and teamwork in and across the teams, to include but not limited to: overseeing development and monitoring of the team’s budget, strategy and work plan; oversight of individual work plans and motivating, guiding, monitoring and empowering staff to fulfil their full potential.
- Promote and model excellence throughout the organization; and manage and resolve problems in a timely manner towards achieving the mandate of the team and Global Fund more broadly.
▪ Advanced university degree in communications/public relations/marketing/public affairs/international relations
▪ Specialized post-graduate qualification in public health, global development, or human rights
▪ Have very strong leadership skills and work ethic
▪ Have a demonstrated track record and ability to develop and manage strong working relationships with senior leadership
▪ Demonstrate outstanding interpersonal, communication and influencing skills in at least 2 languages including English
▪ Have deep experience and knowledge of the global media and major social media platforms landscape
▪ Extensive proven experience in / understanding of the role of communications in support of fundraising
▪ Extensive proven experience in / understanding of the role of communications in supporting employee engagement and operational impact
▪ Extensive experience in / understanding of the role of brand and creative content in communication impact
▪ Exhibit excellent management and leadership skills with the ability to energize high-performing diverse teams
▪ Exhibit the ability to manage confidential information with discretion and integrity
▪ Have experience and understanding of audience measurement tools and analytics
▪ Commitment to the GF mission and values including gender and diversity
▪ Over 10-12 years of experience with demonstrated success in senior communication positions across corporate communications, media relations, digital communications, creative content, brand and marketing, including at least 5 at global level, preferably in a global health / global development context
▪ More than 6 years people management experience
▪ Knowledge of global health / global development landscape
▪ Experience in crisis communication
▪ Experience living and working in multiple countries, including in a developing country context
Languages: Outstanding English language verbal and written skills as well as another language, preferably French. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
For further information about the position and additional details on requirements, terms and conditions of service and how to apply, please follow the following link https://www.russellreynolds.com
The closing date for applications is 12:00 PM BST, February 19, 2021.
For further information and to apply>>