Social media manager – The WHO Foundation, Geneva
The WHO Foundation (WHOF), launched in May 2020 and headquartered in Geneva, was created as an independent Swiss foundation affiliated with but independent of WHO. Its mission is to mobilize greater private capital and partnership to advance the mission of the World Health Organization (WHO), enabling catalytic impact on the people whose lives rely on WHO’s work and facilitating innovation to maximize the impact of the resources invested.
WHOF was therefore created as an independent Swiss foundation affiliated with but independent of WHO to marshal new resources from philanthropists, foundations, businesses, and individuals to support its mission: promote health, keep the world safe, and serve the vulnerable, while protecting the neutrality and independence of WHO as the world’s leading health authority. WHOF is a nexus for unique opportunities in global health, facilitating game-changing opportunities between the private sector and WHO. Our focus is on mobilizing grant income, shared value partnerships, and investment to power WHO’s work.
The Social Media Manager is responsible for overseeing the digital communications function in support of the organization’s broader development objectives. He/she will develop and implement an integrated digital communications strategy to enhance the Foundation’s external profile and will liaise with service providers (social media production, web development, hosting services, security, external agencies). The digital communications strategist will serve as the lead for web and digital communications management.
The Social media Manager will directly report to the Chief Communications Officer of WHO Foundation.
ACCOUNTABILITIES & FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy Development and Execution
- Spearhead development and execution of an integrated digital communications strategy, working closely with the Chief Communications Officer, Foundation teams, and WHO counterparts to identify gaps, opportunities, and approaches for strengthening brand awareness and engagement with target audiences as the Foundation grows and evolves.
- Oversee social media, liaising closely with WHO Foundation team, initiatives, campaigns, and partnerships leads to align and convert messaging narratives to appropriate digital channels.
- Oversee management of Foundation website, social media and other externally facing digital platforms.
- Develop digital communications protocols and engage external vendors for web maintenance and strategy as the Foundation and content needs evolve.
- Craft, execute, and commission digital communication assets such as animations, film and social media creative (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Web) to support Foundation content opportunities.
- Evaluate digital communications with social listening, analytics reports and provide recommendations and to report on successes.
- Monitor social sites for news, trends and emerging themes to help inform the content, and provide alerts to the team on important marketplace developments as they occur.
- Keeping online content up to date and in line with digital communication trends.
- Researching and writing blogs for the website around key Foundation themes and activities.
- Build and implement digital campaign communications/fundraising campaigns to support key milestones and initiatives of the Foundation and its partners.
- Create, research, source high-impact content for campaigns, website, and digital channel appeals.
Internal Coordination and Management
- Work with the communication and campaign teams to manage the digital communication workstream, with external agencies and other subcontractors where relevant.
- Edit and update an editorial calendar with external key dates, internal events, global UN days, and more.
- Participate in Interim Secretariat staff, campaigns, appeals, and various initiatives meetings and provide written updates on progress where requested.
- Ensure harmonization between the campaigns, partnerships, strategy & impact, and communications workstreams.
- Liaise directly with the CEO, members of the board, and WHO colleagues as appropriate.
- Support Foundation events for digital communication activities.
- A minimum of 8 to 10 years of progressively responsible experience in digital communications strategy, with a proven record of conceptualizing and executing successful strategies/campaigns and working across sectors.
- Self-starter with strong leadership skills and aptitude for working with autonomy and entrepreneurship, both individually and as part of a complex team effort.
- Comfort with and/or experience of operating in a lean, start-up environment.
- Demonstrated project management skills, ideally including executing large-scale, multi-actor campaigns and collaborations and reporting on metrics/measurements.
- Experience managing under crisis conditions in fast-turnaround global “emergency” situations.
- Knowledge of project budgeting and agency management are highly desirable skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and diplomacy, with insights into DEI are essential to the role.
- Demonstrated record of setting clear standards for accountability, value for money, risk management and zero tolerance to fraud and corruption.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent), in digital communications, digital marketing or campaigning, international relations, or related fields.
- Aptitude to work with flexibility, entrepreneurship, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort.
- Must have excellent writing and content development skills with strong proofing abilities and careful attention to detail.
- Fluency in English, French is an advantage.
- Rewarding work in a dynamic and innovative non-profit environment with appealing growth and learning opportunities
- A collaborative workplace within a truly global team
- An agile, fast-moving and flexible environment
- Potential to leverage a multinational name and organization in the form of WHO
- Type of contract: Permanent
- Location: Geneva (relocation needed)
- Working rate: 100%
- Estimated start date: ASAP