Digital Communication Coordinator
Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD)
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Start Date: As soon as possible. This is a long-term staff position
Activity Rate: Full time
Closing date for applications: February 2nd, 2020
We are looking for an experienced digital communications professional to push the GICHD’s storytelling and outreach to the mine action community and beyond. You have demonstrated experience telling captivating stories across media and digital platforms and are inclined to try out new tools and techniques. At the same time, the content you create is gender and diversity inclusive as well as responsive to diplomatic and fragile contexts. You have built or managed the implementation of websites, applications and social media for non-profit organisations and understand user experience (UX).
The Digital Media Coordinator works within the Communications team in close collaboration with three colleagues and under the Head of the Grants Management and Communication division.
Manage a series of interconnected websites (GICHD’s main website as well as micro-sites, associated websites and campaigns’ sites). Perform regular quality controls. Ensure that hosting services and domain names are up-to-date.
Content management: produce content or edit contributions (text and visuals), in line with the organisation’s editorial line, communication objectives and principles of gender and diversity inclusion. Identify and prepare material for online posting; edit images and other material.
Prepare the layout and technical aspects of e-mail campaigns.
Social Media and Applications
Supervise the creation/commission/posting of content on social media and applications, in line with the strategy, action plan and editorial line.
Manage the licenses, subscriptions and corporate user accounts.
Guide and train GICHD staff members on the use of social media to enhance outreach and impact.
Digital Communication Technology
Keep watch on and provide an informed point of view on the evolution of communications’ and storytelling technology and trends, on measurement and analytics technology and their application to the humanitarian sector.
Propose and set up new digital communication tools, including social media, augmented reality and/or virtual reality, as relevant to further the Centre’s key messages and reach the desired audience.
Identify and contribute to building partnerships in the acquisition and use of new communication technologies.
Guide and train GICHD staff members on the application of these technologies.
Represent the Communication services of the Centre at relevant international workshops, conferences or events, to present on new digital communication technologies.
Prepare budget and monitor expenses for the above areas of responsibility.
Assist other Communication colleagues in graphic design, photo and video editing.
Ensure the compliance of our digital communication tools with the Global Data Protection Regulation.
Contribute to the drafting of a digital communication strategy, policy and action plan.
Support the Head of Grants Management and Communication as required in the development and delivery of communication services.
- At least 5 years of recent professional experience as digital communication specialist
- Successful record in social media management and related techniques
- Degree in communication, digital marketing or other relevant field
- Excellent drafting and editing skills in English; competence in formulating engaging content and storytelling, simplifying technical language for a wide audience
- Working knowledge of French and additional languages is an asset
- Analytical skill set and ability to analyse and interpret media performance data
- Experience of, or at least exposure to virtual reality tools and concepts
- Web publishing skills (content management systems, preference for Typo3, Wix)
- Comfortable user of Lightroom for social media content, Apple Developer apps, Amazon Web services and Microsoft Office applications
- Understanding of social media planning and scheduling with Buffer and Trello desirable
- In-dept knowledge of user experience (UX), ability to understand user behaviour and tailor products and their functionalities accordingly
- Thorough knowledge of web management/web design storyboard planning for storytelling platforms, websites, videos, apps
- Knowledge in graphic design or video editing a plus
- Ability to communicate with diverse audiences and transfer knowledge
- Ability to respect and promote gender equality and the inclusion of diversity in communication material
If you wish to join our mission and you feel you are the right person to take on this challenge, please apply on-line on GICHD Job Application before 2 February 2020. You are kindly requested to present your application in English and include:
– a CV of maximum 3 pages
– a letter of motivation
– your professional portfolio
– your earliest date of availability
– any additional documentation you wish to present in support of your candidacy.
The GICHD implements a Gender and Diversity policy and is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are encouraged from women and men, nationals of mine-affected countries and individuals with a disability or special needs, who meet the above profile requirements.
The Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) works towards reducing risks to communities stemming from explosive ordnance, with a particular focus on mines, cluster munitions, other explosive remnants of war and ammunition storages. The Centre helps develop and professionalise the sector for the benefits of its partners: National and local authorities, donors, the United Nations, other international and regional organisations, non-governmental organisations, commercial companies and academia. It does so by combining three distinct lines of service: field support focused on capacity development and advice, multilateral work focused on norms and standards, and research and development focused on cutting-edge solutions. The GICHD benefits from its location in Maison de la Paix in Geneva to cooperate closely with organisations dedicated to humanitarian action development, disarmament, peace and security.
GICHD website www.gichd.org
For further information please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com