The position is based in ISHR’s office in Geneva, Switzerland. Under the supervision of the Communications Director, the Communications and Media Manager plays a key role in developing and implementing ISHR’s global communication strategy and in achieving ISHR’s campaign and advocacy objectives. As an aspect of this, the position will have significant responsibility for strengthening ISHR’s media engagement and profile. The position holder will work very closely within the Communications team with the Director and the Digital Communications Officers, as well as with the broader global ISHR team, in particular with the Campaign and Mobilisation Manager and with the Programme Managers. Furthermore, it is envisioned that the position holder becomes part of ISHR’s Strategic Priority Cluster on Equality and Non-Discrimination, or other relevant ISHR programmatic clusters.
● Media outreach: Help position ISHR as a go-to organisation for relevant journalists and news media on issues related to human rights defenders. Contribute to the regular update of ISHR’s media strategy. Identify, map and nurture relationships with journalists and news media relevant to the implementation of ISHR’s communications strategy and campaigns. Select the right PR tool for every campaign or opportunity, produce and disseminate content in line with ISHR’s messaging strategy. Pitch stories to relevant journalists and manage media enquiries and events. Measure impact and keep records of coverage.
● Messaging strategy: Further develop, model and contribute to the diffusion of ISHR’s new narratives strategy, including by drafting texts and helping review articles and other communications products, such as videos. Help select appropriate visuals for ISHR’s online and offline communication products.
● Publications: Coordinate the production of ISHR print and online publications. This includes defining publication schedules, editing articles/texts, coordinating contributions from different authors, supervising all external suppliers (such as translators, graphic designers, printers), providing input on design and format, and ensuring high quality products in a cost-effective and timely manner.
● Event support and communications: Lead the scheduling and production of tools needed to effectively engage our audiences to attend ISHR events, including promoting the event on ISHR website, designing, drafting and sending out invitations and registrations forms, creating flyers and disseminating news about the event on social media. If required, support the online delivery and the live streaming of the event and/or handle photography coverage of the event.
● Newsletters and mass mailings: Manage the production of ISHR’s digital publications and newsletters, such as the monthly Human Rights Monitor, Human Rights Council Monitor, General Assembly Monitor and Kumulika: African Commission Monitor.
● Videography: Help produce ISHR’s series of “Defender stories” by continuously improving the format and concept, identifying potential participants, arranging interview shootings, editing footage and publishing. Help create or edit other videos as required, with or without the support of external producers.
● ISHR’s digital channels and tools: Assist in supervising the maintenance and development of ISHR’s website and contribute new ideas to continuously improve the usability and relevance of the website for target audiences. Participate in maintaining and building ISHR’s presence on social media channels. Assist in managing the continued development and use of ISHR’s contact relationship management system (CRM).
● Capacity building: Share knowledge internally and externally in order to enhance communications expertise within ISHR, on subjects such as media training, new narratives implementation, use of visuals, writing for the web, use of communications platforms etc.
Qualifications,experience and qualities
● A passion for communicating human rights stories effectively and for encouraging uptake
by media and other sources;
● University degree or diploma in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism
or related fields;
● Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience;
● Native-level oral and written English, including excellent drafting and editing skills, with full oral and written proficiency in at least one additional language a significant advantage (French and/or Spanish);
● Strong command of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, video editing softwares; and demonstrated ability to learn how to operate new softwares quickly;
● Demonstrated interest in human rights;
● Proven project management, time management and organisational skills;
● Ability to multi-task and work independently under pressure to meet tight deadlines;
● Excellent communication and people skills;
● Able to work as a member of an international, agile and diverse organisation;
● Swiss Work Permit or EU/EFTA national.
● Experience working for an NGO and/or on human rights thematics;
● Familiarity and/or experience with equality, non-discrimination, diversity and inclusion thematics;
● A good level of knowledge of MailChimp and WordPress;
● A basic knowledge of analytics and reporting;
● Experience and established contacts with Swiss, US or international journalists and news agencies,
● Experience using CiviCRM or another customer relationship management system.
To see the complete ad and to apply please consult the vacancy on the ISHR website >>