The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) is a global center of expertise established in 1998 to monitor and report on the situation of people who become displaced within their own countries. IDMC curates and analyses data from a wide range of sources, provide insight into the risk, scale, causes and impacts of the phenomenon, and supports partners around the world in identifying and implementing solutions to it.
IDMC is now looking for a dynamic Social Media Technical Officer to lead the strategic direction of IDMC’s social media presence, proactively engage and grow our audiences, and elevate both the issue of internal displacement and IDMC’s visual brand among target audiences.
What you will do
The main roles and responsibilities for this position are:
Social media engagement:
- Develop a strategy for IDMC’s social media presence, including a review of our audience’s needs, the most suitable platforms to invest in, and opportunities to improve our outreach.
- Identify ways to proactively engage and grow IDMC’s audience to meet ambitious targets, ensuring that our content is relevant, timely, accessible and engaging.
- Liaise closely with all IDMC departments to stay on top of latest developments, find new ways to raise the profile of the issue, promote our activities and key messages and drive traffic to the website.
- Mobilise a community of supporters, content partners and influencers to help increase followership and elevate our brand.
- Conduct regular audience research and partner/peer benchmarking, analysis of our impact and what’s working or not working, and stay up-to-date with current trends, technologies and applications to inform decisions and overall direction.
- Support staff and partners to build our network with training, and the development of creative assets and messaging.
Creative content production:
- Design and produce infographics, maps, short sharing videos, gifs, quizzes and other creative assets.
- Distil complex or technical language into clear, engaging, user-friendly messaging. Apply the correct content type for different types of engagement.
- Champion and elevate IDMC’s brand with consistent templates and tone.
Marketing, events and dissemination:
- Maintain digital calendar of external events, hooks, and key moments to engage with.
- Take the lead, with support from ExRel, on the planning and preparations for IDMC’s flagship events – including invitations, logistics and suppliers, and promotion.
- Develop social media campaigns around key hooks and for various institutional product types.
- Utilise paid advertising for maximum reach.
- Produce and disseminate a monthly supporter newsletter.
- Monitor IDMC’s info@ mailbox, respond to inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintain and update centralised IDMC contact list.
- Support events planning with identification of strategic venues for IDMC’s flagship events, preparation of event invitations, and related tasks.
What you will bring
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. French also an asset.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Able to translate technical language into concise, engaging messages for a broad audience.
- Able to design and deliver creative content; basic image, photo and video editing skills.
- Relevant degree or professional experience in communications, marketing, social media, digital design, and related fields.
- Basic proficiency with Adobe suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Premier.
- Solid understanding of social media trends and analytics across multiple platforms.
- Working knowledge of Mailchimp/other email marketing tools.
- Highly organised and detail-oriented, able to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Proactive, enthusiastic and persistent – results-orientated.
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to advancing practical, data-based solutions to internal displacement;
- An opportunity to work in a team of communications professionals and to help elevate the IDMC brand;
- A permanent position in Geneva;
- Salary and benefits according to NRC/IDMC’s salary scale and terms and conditions.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
To be dedicated in what we do;
To be innovative with our solutions;
To act as one unified and inclusive team;
To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC/IDMC family.
How to apply:
For reasons related to the procedure for work permits in Switzerland, only candidates with an EU/EFTA nationality or a valid work permit for Geneva, Switzerland can be considered for this role. Kindly specify your permit in the application if relevant.