Workshop 2 – Creating video for communicators
This is a practical and interactive course for communications professionals who want to know when and how to best exploit the numerous and growing opportunities video offers in conveying your stories to your target audiences, while avoiding costly mistakes. If you’re using video now or in the future, this course will inform and train you in the core areas required to produce visually compelling video. This workshop integrates storytelling through images and technical know-how explaining all the production steps from the idea to the final video.
2. Benefits of attending:
- Learn different visual storytelling techniques and the different video products that can convey your key messages.
- Get involved in interactive sessions that go beyond the theory and focus on the practicalities of planning, producing and delivering a successful video.
- Practice working as a video producer yourself – your expertise and responsibilities.
- Be able to successfully produce small in-house video productions
Optimize your ‘Terms of Reference’ or ‘briefs’ to get the most out of your budget.
- Understand how to promote your video and the various distribution channels.
3. Course outline:
- Introduction: first steps
– Why video?
– Setting objectives and target audiences. Convincing the management.
- Commissioning video
– How to choose the type of video that best meets your resources and expectations (budgeting and Timeframe).
- Pre-production process and planning.
– Essential elements needed to tell a story.
– Deciding the ‘format’.
– Synopsis, script, storyboard, and technical script
– Budgeting and scheduling
– Legal, and other considerations
– Interactive session: Guided by the course trainers and a best-practice template, attendees will work together to plan a brief video mission based on a relevant scenario.
- The production and post-production process (Interactive session working as a video producer).
– Overview of the workflow involved in a video production
– Overview of equipment and crew: Key roles and tasks.
– Working the image: framing, lighting, lenses, recording format, etc.
– Working the sound. how to capture the perfect sound
– Recording several takes and locations: Continuity issues
– Overview of the post-production workflow: Who does what?
– ‘Fixing in post-production’ or ‘enhancing in post-production’?
- Promotion and distribution
– What are the options?
– Multi-format and multi-platform delivery.
– Hosting and streaming your video online
– Social media networks – YouTube/Blogs/Viral Videos
Victor Planas-Bielsa: With combined background of science and art, Victor is founder of Art’n Visual Production, where he also takes the role of producer/director. He has several years experience producing audiovisual content for international firms, NGO’s, and communication agencies. His previous experience in finance (where he was worked as global strategist) allows him to have a strong business orientation, and to offer advise on the type of deliverables that an organization needs to ultimately to achieve its goals. He also teaches at the International University in Geneva.