Purpose / Summary
Based in Geneva and reporting to the Head of External Relations and Policy, the Communication Manager leads a small team to implement and monitor the communication strategy, reaching out to the key stakeholders in explosive ordnance risk reduction, human security, humanitarian and development fields, the media and the wider public. S/he leads the editorial agenda and oversees digital and print material and public relations activities (including stakeholders’ engagement, social media, events, and media relations).
Areas of Responsibilities
• Implement and maintain the overall GICHD communication strategy and its related workplans together with an editorial calendar.
• Supervise, manage, coach and counsel the staff members of the communication unit.
• Manage the financial resources of the communication unit based on an annual budget consolidated with the Head of Division.
• Formulate and supervise delivery of key messages and communication content by the GICHD staff; adapt the messages to the different audiences and channels.
• Ensure consistency of the GICHD’s tone of voice and identity across all channels and supervise the implementation of the editorial style guide and the graphic chart.
• Promote communications best practices within GICHD Divisions and provide training to staff where appropriate.
• Identify and supervise communication campaigns; develop an annual calendar of events and campaigns for the Centre.
• Strengthen the Centre’s internal communication in identifying opportunities and new communication tools fostering collaboration and improving employees’ engagement.
• Support with the implementation of crisis management best practices for the Centre
• Carry out work in a gender and diversity-sensitive manner and monitor that gender and diversity considerations are mainstreamed in the overall GICHD communication.
Public and media relations / stakeholder engagement
• Develop and foster media relations aiming to increase GICHD visibility in local, national and international media.
• Coordinate and advise managers and staff on media relations, including media inquiries and interview requests; organise press conferences and draft press releases.
• Coordinate and supervise the publication of media articles and op-eds by the GICHD experts and leadership.
• Identify and develop partnerships with communication professionals from other organisations in the humanitarian sector, civil society and Maison de la paix community.
Written content / Visual identity
• Ensure that the messaging displayed across communication products, tools and channels is in line with the agreed visual identity and corporate communication guidelines.
• Oversee the production of the overall communication material, such as publications, media articles, press releases as well as audio-visual material and define the priorities in line with GICHD strategy.
• Oversee the quality and consistency of written content produced by the Centre.
• Identify and advise on opportunities for launch events and dissemination of knowledge and publications.
• Oversee and coordinate the quality control of translations in line with the style guide and standard glossaries.
Digital engagement and social media
• Define the digital strategy in line with the communication strategy.
• Identify and foster partnerships with external actors on digital channels.
• Coach and advise Centre’s experts and staff in their personal social media and digital activities.
• Define outputs and goals for overall social media outreach according to the divisional needs and oversee their implementation and execution.
• Lead the management of GICHD websites and digital platforms in terms of their architecture, coherence with other tools and content management.
• Lead and advise on interview and animation scripts for audio-visual content.
• Stay abreast of digital trends and identify opportunities for their use within the humanitarian and development sector.
Operating Network (External)
• Journalists and other professionals in media (both in international, international Geneva and Swiss press).
• Organisers and stakeholders of relevant events.
• Consultants and service providers for events, audio-visual production, graphic design.
• National Mine Action Authorities, relevant external partners and donors.
Qualifications (technical qualifications or certifications that are essential to fulfil the post):
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, or related field.
Specific knowledge, technical skills
• 8 – 10 years’ experience in international settings, both in private and public sectors
• Solid experience with local/national media landscape is an essential requirement
• Fluent in French or another Swiss national language.
• At least 2 years’ experience managing staff, coaching, or mentoring
• Solid knowledge and competence in communication approaches, tools, and methodologies essential to planning and executing effective campaign strategies and programmes, e.g. campaign management, advocacy, engagement, media operations, message targeting
• Knowledge/Understanding of content management systems and experience with managing or overseeing social media platforms.
• Excellent English speaker with outstanding communication skills, both written and oral with the ability to speak in public.
• Proven project management skills, budget planning and monitoring and project team management.
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud, a bonus.
• Experience in managing external resources and agencies.
• Experience in managing the production of publications.
• Understanding and experience in mainstreaming gender and diversity topics throughout different communication materials.
• Professional understanding/experience of communications during crisis management.
If you wish to join our mission and you feel you have the right profile to take on this role, please apply exclusively on-line using this link GICHD Job application portal and present your application in English including a CV of maximum 2 pages, a letter of motivation and any other additional material you wish to present in support of your candidacy.
To apply directly online, please click ON THIS LINK.