The Geneva-based Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is the global leader in the provision of data, information and analysis on internal displacement. IDMC is recruiting for an 80% maternity cover post, starting in April 2018, under the guidance of the Head of our Communications Department.
1. Role and responsibilities
The Communications & Media Coordinator will be responsible for managing all media relations, content development, social media and corporate communications for IDMC and including the communications pack for the 2018 Global Report on Internal Displacement, as well as producing communications materials for online and traditional usage.
1. Develop annual media relations strategy to ensure IDMC’s work and opinions are regularly featured in international, regional and national media outlets
2. Implement media strategy including media briefings, relationship development with journalists, missions for director, identifying opportunities for opinion pieces and articles throughout the year, drafting content in consultation with other departments
3. Manage pool of expertise writers and commission work as required
4. Develop and implement the communications plan for the Global Report on Internal Displacement
5. Develop and manage a social media strategy using innovation and advertising
6. Contribute to and help to implement IDMC’s communication and website strategies
7. Draft materials for the media, website and social media (including speeches, articles, talking points, and drafting/editing blog posts) for a variety of audiences
8. Work with Policy & research department to develop range of position statements which will be updated accordingly
9. Work with Data & Analysis department to develop articles describing projects under development and their potential
10. Work with Publications Coordinator to develop infographics and assets to illustrate the key figures produced by IDMC
11. Work with the Website Coordinator to ensure content is provided in a timely way in consultation with website page authors
12. Develop corporate materials (brochures, newsletters, quarterly updates)
13. Work with Business Development Manager to develop Appeal and Annual Report publications
14. Provide communications support to promote IDMC products via the media, website and social media
15. Carry out media briefings to coincide with key report launches or key events
- Policy and Research: Ongoing engagement with researchers/writers in the policy and research department to ensure that materials are developed in line with policy and research objectives
- Engagement with NRC communications to share messaging, develop launch strategies for global reports and other key reports to ensure communications strategies are in line with social media and digital strategies
- Publications Coordinator: Ensure coordinated approach to forward planning and the editorial calendar
- Website Coordinator: Ensure content and technical developments for the website at aligned
- Head of Communications: Assist with development of strategic plans and deputise as required.
- University degree or the equivalent professional qualification in relevant subject
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in communications for an international organisation
- Proven track record in delivering accurate and impactful editorial copy
- Proven ability to analyse complex information from different sources and synthesise this information into concise, jargon-free press releases, articles, blogs, speeches and talking points
- Professional experience of managing web and digital media platforms, including demonstrable experience in audience growth and engagement on social media
- Proven ability to write for digital audiences in a way that is both accurate and engaging
Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Previous working experience within the humanitarian sector preferred
- Experience of working sensitively and responsibly on complex issues
- Excellent verbal communications skills, and an ability to operate at all levels within the NRC and IDMC organisation(s)
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Creativity and ability to ‘think outside the box’
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
Deadline for applications is 16 March 2018.
Please note that for reasons related to the procedure for work permits in Switzerland, only candidates with an EU or EFTA nationality can be considered for this role. Please send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and please put your name in the subject title.
Make sure your application contains the following documents:
- cover letter,
- copy of your EU/EFTA passport
- writing sample
Only complete application files will be considered.