Sphere – Strategic Communications and Membership Director, Geneva
Are you a natural communicator and relationship builder? Do you enjoy the challenge of finding new ways to engage and connect with a wide variety of people and organisations? Can you harness that energy around a common goal and vision?
If so, join Sphere for an exciting opportunity as the Director of Strategic Communications and Membership to mobilise a global network of Sphere members intent on promoting principled humanitarian quality and accountability in practice!
What is expected of you in this role?
You will lead the vision for communicating effectively about Sphere as well as enabling communication with the members around the use of the Standards. You will also be responsible for member relations, including outreach, recruitment, retention and implementation of plans designed to cultivate, maintain, and strengthen the use and effectiveness of the Sphere Standards.
COMMUNICATION – You will lead the planning, development of, implementation and monitoring of Sphere’s strategic communications. Specifically, you will work with the Communications Manager to:
· Develop and implement a Sphere communications strategy to support Sphere’s new “Sphere Effect” proposal to Act, Learn and Connect.
· Find novel ways to promote the work of the Sphere members’ work on the application of Humanitarian Standards.
· Oversee the continued development of a new and engaging Sphere website.
· Expand Sphere’s social media presence.
· Lead the production of the monthly e-newsletter, annual report and other special reports as needed.
MEMBER RELATIONS – You will work with Sphere’s Membership Officer to manage the engagement of new members as well as retention of Sphere members.
· Oversee the continued development for identifying membership needs for Sphere.
· Promote membership and member benefits and services.
· Solicit new members and oversee renewing membership.
· Provide a high level of service including building strong relationships with members, non-members, donors and others.
· Oversee the timely completion of administrative tasks related to membership and payment processing, coordination of membership renewals, updating membership data on website and other functional systems.
· Plan and manage membership events in coordination with other staff, including special workshops, networking events, Sphere’s General Assembly, and other events.
What we are looking for:
You are a seasoned professional with demonstrated experience in developing and leading strategic communications for non-profit organisations, preferably with global membership reach.
You embrace a spirit of problem-solving, communication and entrepreneurship to work with and adapt to multiple stakeholders around the world.
Your colleagues describe you as an exceptional communicator and advocate, and you would be comfortable representing Sphere at the highest level.
You enjoy working in small teams and enjoy guiding others in their work.
You have excellent oral and written English skills that are articulate and succinct, with other working languages as an asset.
You would ideally have experience using Sphere in field operations and policy development, as well as hands-on humanitarian field experience in a management or technical role.
You will report to Sphere’s Executive Director
You will supervise the Membership Officer and the Communications Manager
You will be based in Geneva (all candidates must hold a valid Swiss work permit)
Your time commitment will be full time. Flexibility on percentage of time will be considered for the right candidate.
You will start: ASAP
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your CV and letter of motivation to: email@example.com including ‘Strategic Communication and Membership Director’’ in the subject line.
Application deadline: 21 June 2018.
Interviews will be held in the first week of July. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.