Introduction and context
MMV is a leading, not-for-profit product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. It was formed in 1999 to re-ignite stalled Research & Development into new drugs for malaria. Its mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and facilitating the delivery of new, effective and affordable antimalarial drugs.
MMV is seeking a consultant, as an Advocacy and Communications Manager, 100% on a fixed term basis, 2020 to 2024. The candidate will ideally be based in the Geneva area.
Place in the organisation
The Advocacy and Communications Manager will report to Director P.vivax malaria in the Access & Product Management (APM) team. She / he will closely collaborate with the vivax project team (including Regional Coordinators) and the Advocacy and Communications departments within Corporate Affairs.
Scope of the position
The primary task of the Advocacy and Communications Manager will be to manage the Advocacy and Communication activities of the VivAccess/VivAction initiatives in the drive to accelerate the rational use of radical cure for P. vivax malaria in endemic countries. He/she will help develop an Advocacy and Communications strategy and manage its evolution, coordinate and organize support activities for its smooth implementation, manage global consultations between partners and ensure the alignment of regional consultations.
• Develop the Advocacy and Communications strategy jointly with VivAccess/VivAction leadership and key partners and lead regular progress analysis and a mid-term review of the strategy.
• Proactively plan and organize regular global consultations between partners on the Advocacy and Communications strategy; prepare and disseminate working documents, meeting minutes and progress reports, and represent VivAccess /VivAction at these meetings as required.
• Maintain contact and stakeholder databases.
• Facilitate regular discussions among global teams and Regional Coordinators to identify key messages to be prioritised.
• Monitor and coordinate meeting follow-up actions and proactively track advocacy and communications activities, events, and ensure required inputs and actions from relevant teams.
• Identify the advocacy opportunities and required communication material in collaboration with the communications teams, partners and the Regional Coordinators, and ensure messages are disseminated at global, regional and national level for policy and awareness raising purposes using a variety of possible outputs (eg, print and digital media, social media, reports, infographics, factsheets, etc.).
• Manage advocacy tools and communication materials through review processes in a timely manner in collaboration with different MMV departments and partners.
• Channel advice from MMV senior management to partners and Regional Coordinators as the strategy is implemented.
• Responsible for knowledge management and sharing of all information generated by and for the VivAccess and VivAction initiatives by promoting open, inclusive communication and interaction between the partners.
• Provide regular and ad-hoc VivAccess / VivAction advocacy and communications inputs to project and donor reports.
• Provide risk management support as appropriate: develop crisis communications plan, advise partners on existing and potential constraints and issues, corporate risks and upcoming deadlines, ensure required support and identify back-up solutions as required.
• The role will include 20% global travel.
• Excellent organizational, project management, collaboration and negotiation skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and to prioritize and manage multiple deliverables simultaneously.
• Sound judgment, political astuteness, integrity and tact in dealing with others.
• Excellent communication, analytical, presentation (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
• Team player with a proven record.
• Cultural sensitivity and awareness, proven skills in working diplomatically with in-country stakeholders in developing countries.
• A desire to support accelerated and improved uptake of critical antimalarials and diagnostics among at-risk P.vivax populations.
• Masters level degree or equivalent in public health, and/or in advocacy and/or communications, with in depth knowledge and experience if advocacy and communications.
• Management of complex committees or working groups.
• Working on advocacy in global health, ideally in malaria.
• Development of communication materials.
• English: Full professional proficiency required.
• Spanish: Good working-level proficiency would be an advantage.
Other Skills (e.g. IT)
• Experience using project management tools, SharePoint or similar, Excel, PowerPoint.
Request for references
• Please provide the contact details of two employers/clients you have worked with in the past 2 years that may be contacted for references.
The proposal deadline is 28 February 2020
Please email your proposal, references, and writing samples to: Angela Sturgess, Medicines for Malaria Venture, firstname.lastname@example.org
To see the full add, consulte the MMV jobs page