Graphic and Digital Design Officer – IDMC, Norwegian Refugee Council, Geneva
The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) is the world’s authoritative source of data and analysis on internal displacement. Since our establishment in 1998 as part of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), we offer a rigorous, transparent and independent service to the international community, and inform policy and operational decisions to improve the lives of people living in, or at risk of, internal displacement.
With a team of 31 people in Geneva and an annual budget of over 5 million USD, we monitor more than 130 countries in the world for which we provide verified, consolidated and multi-sourced estimates of the number of people internally displaced or at risk of becoming displaced by conflict, violence, disasters and development projects. We complement this global data with interdisciplinary research into the drivers, patterns and impacts of internal displacement. Using this evidence, we provide tailor-made advice and support to inform global, regional and national policy-making. Our data and evidence are published on our website and via our Global Internal Displacement Database (http://www.internal-displacement.org/database/displacement-data). Our flagship report, the Global Report on Internal Displacement (https://www.internal-displacement.org/global-report/grid2020/), *published every year in May, is the world refeence on IDP statistics, featuring trends and thematic analyses, country and regional spotlights.
IDMC is looking for a passionate Graphic and Digital Design Officer to help create compelling professional digital design assets in order to improve the accessibility, understanding, and utility of IDMC’s data, research, and work. The Graphic and Digital Design Officer will advise on how publications and other IDMC products can maximise the desired impact from both a design and overall communications perspective and ensure that all IDMC’s external products are of the highest quality prior to publication and dissemination.
In addition, the Graphic and Digital Design Officer will provide overall editorial and design support to IDMC’s external products, including donor reports, publications, events communications, and digital products and will act as IDMC’s brand guardian and identify opportunities to continually elevate the IDMC brand.
The Graphic and Digital Design Officer will also be expected to provide general communications and fundraising support to the team during busy periods, as required.
Duties and responsibilities
Creative content/data visualisation development
- Conduct research and analysis and stay up to date on the latest data visualisations and design tools and applications;
- Liaise with IDMC’s Data and Analysis and Policy and Research teams to learn of upcoming priorities and publications, and to conceptualise the best way to communicate our work using design assets;
- Communicate complex concepts and analytics using visually appealing and user-friendly dashboards and maps;
- Using specialised design software, develop graphic layouts and templates for publications, geo-spatial maps, and creative design assets for IDMC’s print and digital products;
- Design digital assets for website use, print posters, maps, and infographics;
- Distil quantitative and qualitative data, research, and analysis to contribute to communicating compelling stories through visual storytelling to diverse audiences;
- Develop and maintain an updated library of photos sourced from IDMC staff and consultants, partners’ photo libraries, and paid photo pools that depict the issue of internal displacement and IDMC’s work;
- Provide overall communications and design support in the production of IDMC’s publications, including its annual flagship Global Report on Internal Displacement;
- Identify and manage consultants and suppliers to support and enhance in-house design work.
Quality assurance on external products
- Liaise with product authors and conceptualise and create visuals to help convey IDMC’s work through both digital and print mediums;
- Maintain an editorial calendar and ensure timely delivery of all external publications and communications products;
- Keep External Relations team updated on any delays or challenges faced in production and/or meeting deadlines and troubleshoot problems;
- Conduct final quality assurance checks on all publications to ensure editorial and visual precision;
- Support External Relations team in the production of donor reports and corporate communications materials including IDMC’s annual report, program brochures, etc.;
- With the communications team, analyse which IDMC products produced the greatest returns (in terms of downloads and views, dissemination, etc.) and develop and enhance strategy to improve outreach of IDMC’s products.
- Increase IDMC’s brand recognition by ensuring a balance between consistency and creative design;
- Lead IDMC through a brand refresh exercise to develop new and compelling templates to align with IDMC’s new 2030 strategy, and train staff on any new brand style guidelines developed;
- With the External Relations team, conduct market research to improve understanding of our audience and their needs;
- From a branding perspective, conduct benchmarking of IDMC’s products versus partners’ products and advise on improvements to IDMC’s marketing and dissemination of its core products;
- Identify opportunities to continually increase IDMC’s brand awareness and recognition;
- Stay updated on key trends and competitor brand strategies to ensure the continued relevance and suitability of IDMC’s brand with our target audience.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Self-starter, pro-active, quick learner, high performing, agile, and adaptable;
- Creative thinker, problem solver, detail-oriented;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a sense of humour, and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Fluency in English required, excellent English language writing and communication skills;
- French, Spanish, or Arabic a plus;
- Ability to multi-task to accommodate high paced environment;
- Excellent organization, analysis, and planning skills;
- Strong coordination skills;
- Able to distill technical language and information to key messages for a broad audience.
Context related skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree preferred, in communications, data visualisation, brand management, graphic design, marketing, content development, or related discipline;
- 5 years of experience in graphic design, data visualisation, geo-spatial tools, data analysis software, or branding, with interest and basic knowledge in international development and/or humanitarian assistance;
- Skills in video editing and basic motion design a plus;
- Experience in using geo-spatial mapping tools;
- Experience and/or interest in the issue of internal displacement and human mobility and willingness to travel on an occasional basis.
- Creative thinker: thinks outside the box and takes initiative to troubleshoot challenges;
- Proven networking and relationship management skills;
- Strategic thinker, able to develop strategic plans based on desired impact and outcomes;
- Committed and passionate about the issue of internal displacement;
- Highly professional and collaborative;
- An aptitude for critical thinking, analysis, and problem solving;
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, and can successfully deliver on short deadlines;
- Influential and decisive.
Start date, duration, working hours, eligibility
- This position is initially for a period of 12 months;
- This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week;
- Please note that for reasons related to the procedure for work permits in Switzerland, only candidates with a Swiss/EU/EFTA nationality or a valid work permit for Switzerland can be considered for this role (non-Swiss/EU/EFTA citizens must kindly provide proof of a valid working permit for Switzerland in their application);
- Only applications received via NRC’s recruitment platform Webcruiter will be accepted.
We can offer
- A passionate and dynamic team;
- An international and diverse work atmosphere;
- Flexible working hours.
How to apply
Candidates should complete an NRC WebCruiter application including the following:
- Webcruiter CV and personal details;
- A cover letter which should include your availability and the type and validity of your working permit for Switzerland if you don’t have a Swiss, EU or EFTA nationality.
- Applications will only be accepted through the NRC recruitment platform Webcruiter, please see: https://www.nrc.no/vacancies/
Deadline for application: 10 August 2020
We look forward to receiving your application!