The Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI) is a membership-based alliance of national human rights institutions (NHRIs) which works in close cooperation with the United Nations (UN). GANHRI unites, promotes and strengthens NHRIs to operate in line with the Paris Principles and provides leadership in the promotion and protection of human rights. GANHRI provides a framework for NHRIs to work together and cooperate at the international level through a wide range of activities, including annual meetings, international conferences, networks, training and capacity building activities. To learn more about GANHRI visit our website: www.ganhri.org
About the position
The Communication, social media and event officer will play an important role in the implementation of the GANHRI Communications Strategy. She/he will support the development of targeted communication. In particular the officer will support with the creation, research and promotion of content for the various communication channels (web, print, social media), help keep the website and socia media up to date and support the organisation, coordination and execution of workshops, seminars and public events.
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager and the Geneva Representative and with the guidance of the Senior Communications Adviser, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks, in line with the GANHRI Communications Strategy.
• Maintain, feed and improve the GANHRI’s online presence (website, social media and newsletter/emailing);
• Manage and keep up to date social media channels (particularly Facebook and Twitter);
• Take the lead on content development (research, write and post communication pieces) for the website and social media, in coordination with the GANHRI Head Office team;
• Support with the copyediting and proofing of GANHRI’s publications;
• Support the development of videos, slide shows and any other communication material;
• Collect and document activities with pictures and other imageries;
• Work with the GANHRI Head office team to organise events such as institutional meetings, workshops, side-events, conferences, and support with related reporting;
• Support the dissemination of ongoing projects’ results in coordination with the Project Coordinator and with the rest of the team;
• Attend events (online and in person) and prepare relevant communication material and outreach;
• Other office and/or administrative related duties as required.
• Document and archive communication and knowledge outputs, including identify data, stories, photographs, infographics, and articles for communications materials;
• Draft or edit, finalize and ensure publication and dissemination of written materials and content for various communication media;
• Manage the organisation’s photo and video library as well as of the institutional memory to ensure that information and materials are stored on shared drives and any other documents management system and are easy to access;
• Provide support to the team at the GANHRI Head Office in maintaining effective communications with members, partner organizations, and stakeholders, including timely response to requests for information, as appropriate;
• Support organization of staff meetings and other (online) events (webinars, teleconferences, etc), as required;
• Support staff in designing and formatting communication and knowledge papers/documents;
• Coordinate and oversee the translation of communication materials and the work of UN online volunteers;
• Ensure the compliance of messages, publications, videos, communications with GANHRI’s branding and strategy;
• Support with the managing and popularization of the GANHRI Knowledge Management Platform, in collaboration with the thematic staff;
• Work with providers and partners to support the functioning of the knowledge management platform;
• Support NHRIs in the use of the communities of practice, including by supporting any training activities;
• Carry out additional responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by supervisor.
Training and experience required
• Mater’s degree in communications or equivalent relevant professional experience
• At least 3-year experience as communications officer
• Experience with online tools (Word Press, Social media, knowledge management platforms)
• Experience with content management systems (CMS)
• Experience with web or graphic design, video and photo editing- a plus.
Profile and skills sought
• Fluency in written and spoken English (native level)
• Proficiency in French, Spanish and/or Arabic a plus
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Well organized and diligent
• Good team player
• Able to work independently and autonomously when required
• Excellent computer skills
• Motivated to learn and to develop new skills
Duration of appointment: 12 months with possibility of renewal
Employment type: full-time
Direct supervision: GANHRI Operations Manager and Geneva Representative
How to Apply: Send cover letter, CV, a short writing sample and contact information for references.
Deadline for applications: 25 September 2020. Please send the required material by email with the name of the position in the subject to: email@example.com