The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) is the world’s authoritative source of data and analysis on internal displacement. Since their establishment in 1998 as part of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), they offer a rigorous, transparent and independent service to the international community, and inform policy and operational decisions to improve the lives of people living in, or at risk of, internal displacement.
1. Role and responsibilities
The Website Content Manager will be responsible for creating, improving and maintaining content in support of IDMC’s strategic plan and business goals. The main responsibilities also include sharing content to raise brand awareness and monitoring web traffic and metrics to identify best practices. The ideal candidate is an experienced communications professional with demonstrated skills in developing creative digital content.
The following is a brief description of the main responsibilities of this position:
- Develop content strategy aligned with short and long-term information dissemination and marketing objectives.
- Create and publish engaging website content, including written content, videos, animations, digital campaigns and other.
- Edit, proofread and improve writers’ posts through staff capacity-building.
- Analyse website traffic to understand users’ interests.
- Lead on the development and management of IDMC’s digital strategy to improve outreach, dissemination of IDMC’s key products and messages, and impact across multiple platforms.
- Stay up to date with website developments and generate new ideas to draw our audience’s attention.
- Provide IDMC’s External Relations Team with general communications support during peak periods.
Website development and improvements
- Develop and maintain an internal working group to revamp IDMC’s website.
- Develop and implement a digital strategy for IDMC, with the objectives of increasing outreach, dissemination and access to IDMC’s products and key messages through its website, social media, et.al.
- Continually add new functions and features to ensure IDMC’s website is user-friendly and accessible to a broad audience.
- Manage website design contractors.
- Research IDMC’s website users: conduct user-mapping exercises to promote IDMC products that align with our audience’s needs.
- Develop and maintain a website editorial calendar and ensure content team is on board.
- Meet weekly with the Data and Analysis team and Policy and Research team to prioritise content to be featured on IDMC’s website and social media platforms.
- Plan and develop site content, style and layout.
- Promote and market IDMC’s latest updates and key products using creative approaches and design.
- Adjust and design content based on website analytics and user mapping results.
- Repurpose content for different mediums – including social media and video.
- Foster relationships and liaise with IDMC’s partners’ communications teams to improve cross-promotion of our work and key products through partners’ social media platforms.
- Manage content distribution to online channels and social media platforms to increase web traffic.
- IDMC Director and Head of External Relations – for overall approach, strategy development and quality control.
- Publications Coordinator – for support on design and layout, planning for publications and coordination, and to ensure brand consistency.
- Strategic Communications Advisor and Special Advisor to the Director – for alignment on messaging, events participation, and shadowing Director to gain footage and photos during important meetings and trips.
- IDMC’s External Relations Team – to align digital content with all communications products and to elevate brand identity.
- IDMC’s Data and Analysis Team and Policy and Research Team – to mobilise content editors, prioritise newsworthy content to publish and to support enhancements to IDMC’s website.
- NRC’s Media and Communications team – for access to NRC’s photo library and for technical support.
- IDMC partners’ communications teams – to maximise outreach and dissemination.
a. Professional competencies
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- At least 7-10 years professional communications experience, particularly focused on writing/editing, marketing, content development, and/or design.
- Excellent English writing skills; French, Spanish and/or Arabic a plus.
- Highly organised and detail-oriented.
- Able to oversee large projects and to coordinate and consolidate work from others.
- Able to research, collate, and summarise information from different sources.
- Able to translate technical language to key messages for a broad audience.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s, preferred Master’s degree in Communications or related degree.
- 5+ years working on digital content management and/or website development.
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and web traffic metrics.
- Familiarity with social media.
- Demonstrated skills in creative film and video editing.
b. Behavioral competencies
- Creative thinker: thinks outside the box and takes initiative to troubleshoot challenges
- Proven networking and relationship management skills
- Strategic, able to develop strategic plans based on desired impact and outcomes
- Committed and passionate about the issue of internal displacement
- Highly professional and collaborative
- Aptitude for critical thinking, analysis, and problem solving
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, and can successfully deliver on short deadlines Influential and decisive
How to apply:
Candidates should complete an NRC WebCruiter application including their CV and personal details.
Applications will only be accepted through the NRC recruitment platform.
Please note that for reasons related to the procedure for work permits in Switzerland, only candidates with an EU/EFTA nationality or a valid work permit for Geneva, Switzerland can be considered for this role.
Deadline for applications: 14 July 2019
For further information and to see the full ad>>